Title: Biodiversity Week – The Green Wave
Date: 6th July 2021
Class: K1 and K2
During Biodiversity week, a variety of activities were planned to educate and involve children to be a part of the program. Through the PowerPoint presentation, children were able to learn more about plants and animals in depth. Opportunities were given to extend children’s thinking by providing provocation and questioning during the sharing. Children were also shown the plant given by NParks which is the ‘Red Tree Shrub’. In groups of five, they were encouraged to observe and use their senses to explore the plant.
1. To share with children about biodiversity.
2. To share about native flora and fauna through PowerPoint sharing and short videos.
1. Teacher Tan began the sharing by introducing the title to the children.
2. She started by showing a planting guide video to the children. Through the video, she provoked and extend children’s thinking by questioning children’s understanding.
3. Next, she introduced the native plant that she has brought in for the children to observe and explore which is the Red Tree Shrub.
4. After Teacher Tan explained more about the red tree shrub, children were given the opportunity to observe and explore the plant using their senses such as smelling the leaves, touching the texture of the leave and more.
5. After that, children were shown ways on how to care for the plant which were putting the plant under full sunlight, water the plant daily and give fertilizer once every 2 weeks.
6. Children were shown the life cycle of a plant, from the seed to bearing a fruit. They also learnt about the parts of a plant and the purpose of each part.
7. Children were shown a video of the needs of a plant which were water, sunlight, air, soil, and space.
8. Then, Teacher Tan showed a video on gardening for the children to learn before they will be given two pots of native plants for them to care for.
Before the end of the session, class teachers conducted reflection with children by asking children what they had learned through the session and shared their opinion. They also encouraged children to share with family members.
Biodiversity Week – The Green Wave on 6th July 2021